Saturday, April 12, 2008

Now and Then

Ok, I know I've been terrible at keeping up with my blog. At times I just want to experience where I am, without trying to cleverly capture it in a journal of any sort. Now I'm realizing that is a stupid idea. My memory is good, but not that good. At least I have Jack to help me fill in blanks.

Just a quick update for those of you who are kind enough to still read this. Are there any of you left? Jack and I spent almost two weeks with his mom, Alexandra, in Viet Nam and Bangkok beforing heading to the Middle East on March 1st. Here is the list of places we've visited since:

Dubai, United Arab Emirates, March 1
Bahrain, March 4
Egypt, March 6-16 (or so)
Jordan, March 16-24
Egypt, Sinai, March 24-30
Czech Republic, March 30- Today!

I have a lot of catching up to do here. I know. It is coming soon, I promise. I have to admit, I am very happy to be free of the Middle East. We have a lot of great memories, which sad to say are now just memories (we lost our camera with all of our Middle East photos on them in Prague - I think it was lost at a pub), but I am glad to be free of the men's stares. Jack was offered 300 or so camels for me at one point. He rightly said he wouldn't ever trade me. That's the spirit!

I tell you it is all wrong, all wrong. I give my friend Cate, who is now living in Cairo, major props. I don't think I could've lasted there alone, for even a day. I might have lost my cool at some point (saying this I am reminded that I sort of did at the airport to a guard who snapped his fingers at me. I snapped back. I momentarily forgot he was a police officer. He took it as a joke, but I was MAD I tell you). I will not miss that.

Other stories soon. We miss you all!

6 comments:

Tiffany said...

I'm still reading! I've missed "hearing" your stories and am glad to read that you're both doing well. Have a great time and keep up with the posts!
Miss you tons,
Tiffany

Joyce Hatfield Peters said...

Miss you too! I hope to get to talk to you soon. We are having a good time and hoping to have more free time to blog soon. I am glad to know you are still reading this too!

Unknown said...

300 camels! Is that a good deal:-) Just kiddin'. I'm still here and love to read about your adventures. Can't wait to see you when you get back.
Take care
Sue

Joyce Hatfield Peters said...

Susan! I am so happy you read this too. Did I mention that we are moving to VT next year? I will be so close to Boston. We will certainly be able to catch up! I miss you a lot. :)

Unknown said...

"More stories soon" ??? What a sham! Haha.... miss you my chickie as you know XXOO

Joyce Hatfield Peters said...

Ok, fine. I stink at this. But just a quick "hi" to you all. We are now in Turkey and really enjoying the sea and sun.