Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Dare Devil Joyce

So the day before Thanksgiving, Jack and I were in Tuvalu. We decided to head out after breakfast and explore the extremely small island of Funafuti. Well, we had hear the best way to do this was to rent a motor scooter. We rented one at the front desk, but when it arrived we realized it was an actual motorcycle.

Jack tried to ride first, but stalled. I then hopped on. I started the bike without problem, and started to go... but couldn't stop. I went too fast, uncontrollably, and hit a car. A government car. It was the scariest thing that's ever happened to me.

I didn't scream, but it felt like it. I was stuck between the car and the ground for a moment or two - it seemed like forever - until Jack, the mechanic and a few other men came rushing over.

They helped me up; and hobbling, I went to sit down. I had some rather nasty cuts on my knee, a huge lump on my leg, some other cuts and scraps and some swollen fingers. The worst part was right after the accident, when it all went a bit fuzzy and slightly black for a few seconds.

I ended up going to the Tuvalu hospital, which was an adventure. The hotel van took me there, after the cop asked for ID. It was all rather nonchalant. The hospital was hot and full of ants, but the desk attendant was nice and sent us to the Pediatric Exam room. Weird. I went in after a few minutes and had the doctor look at me. He seemed rather unconcerned, but impressed with our first aid kit, which Jack brought. It doesn't bode well for the rest of the third world countries we're visiting.

I was sent back to the hotel.



The next day, Thanksgiving, I didn't leave the room. My leg had swollen to the size of a softball and I could barely move. That didn't stop me from getting extremely sick - I couldn't hold down food. But, I've survived and am doing much better.

I am now in New Zealand, and despite an infection scare, am fine. The hospital here was awesome and I was reassured that everything was healing well.

I have to say, although I don't gush about my husband often, he's the best man in the world. He's been amazing, even renting this ridiculous bike to get around Tuvalu faster so he could get back to taking care of me as fast as he could.


I think that's the last of my motorcycle days.

1 comment:

Theresa said...

Yay, you're alive! I've been checking in every day, and I'm glad to finally have some reading to do. It sounds like you guys are having a good time. Hope your leg is healing okay. Enjoy New Zealand and take lots of pictures. I hear it's amazing.